Bad reading habits. Bad writing habits.

My awful reading habits:
I devour books. I'm a speed reader by nature. Even when I try to slow down I end up racing to the epilogue. I don't care much for detail or conversation. I just have to know how it ends. I need my story fix.

My process:
1. Read it fast, read it now.
2. Anyone who distracts me is risking life and limb. As a teen I was serious skilled at two things. While I read I could hold conversations. (The second is that I could sleep with my eyes open. It was great for boring classes.) I can't do either any more. Sigh.
3.Skip the boring bits.


I was an author's nightmare incarnate. I disregarded whole paragraphs (and sometimes chapters when I was very naughty) that they spent hours or days or months or years writing. And I didn't care.

The worst part? I still do it.
I try not to. But I have limited free time and I don't want to know about the colour of the sun in exact details as it climbs over the oh-so-described hills with various wild-flowers listed. I don't want to know about the animals of said hillside bleating/chewing/howling/quaking/glaring at everyone. I just don't.
So I won't read it.

I'm not all bad though. Once I read a book once and like it, I'll read it again. Then I'll enjoy the actual writing. I'll look at sentence structure and phrases I like/don't like. I'll read slowly and enjoy the dialogue and the characters. If I like the book.

I have another habit when reading that many people I know hate. I won't call it a bad habit though, because in my eyes it's not.
I like to read the last line in a novel before I read the first. Sometimes I read the whole last paragraph if I need to make sense of the last line. Then as I go along I try to guess how they got to that last line. It's fun.
I'm strange like that.

My awful writing habits:
This is a much longer list.

1. Falling head-over-ass in lust with an idea too early and too easily.
2. I'm a book two-timer. I'm always working on more than one thing and often have flings with ideas while my ever-so-patience novel waits for me to come back.
3. I either plot out every single detail until I lose all enthusiasm for the book OR have no idea what I'm writing until it's already written-which means re-writes.
4. I hate re-writes.
5. I love/hate editing. I used to sub-edit in a magazine and did journalism in college so I had to get over it. However, editing an article is not the same as editing a novel. There's a different style involved. I also can't afford to spend my whole time editing. The stuff I have written would be the best stuff ever and it wouldn't matter because it's not finished.
6. I'm bad at finishing things. Very, very bad. I have over 80 ideas for novels, novellas and short stories. Sorry. Make that over 81. (A story about a girl who is attending the wedding of her birth parents who gave her up because "they'd never last as a couple and couldn't handle being single parent(s)" flashed before my eyes. I just have to inject magic there somewhere.) 
...Bad C. BAD!

7. I can't read and write. I end up mimicking the style or the author I'm reading. No joke, for ages after I finished a certain Jane Austen book everything I wrote was very good if I lived in the same time period as her.

This is why I haven't updated the blog in a few days. I've been reading. Which isn't shirking on my duties because you have to read lots if you want to write.
...well you do.
...I guess I could have....but....but

Stephen King said so!
Have to listen to the King.
He's not a guru, he's a monarch of the writing world. It's right there in his name.

-C.

Anyone have any interesting habits for when they read/write? Do you mimic too? Can you do both at the same time without affecting your writing 'voice'? If so, please share how with me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The self publishing experiment.

Playlists!