Sometimes...

You know they aren't true. Sometimes someone is completely wrong about you and there isn't anything you can do about it. It feels horrible. Worse Than that is when you still know that they are good people. That they are nice and kind and genuine. You like them. It would be easier not to like them. It would be easier to dismiss their opinion of you because they are mean or cruel or just not nice people. Sometimes you can't even correct them.
Someone can think of you as something terrible and still be awesome. That's about them, not about you. Being good people doesn't make them instantly right about you.
But it just sucks. It feels horrible.

A million other bad things can happen. Some might be serious. Sometimes you might wake up just feeling a little depressed. That's okay. I know studies say that one in four/five (depending on where you live) people suffer from mental illness but I honestly believe that everyone has depression at some point. Some people get it worse than others. For some people it is a daily battle. The difference lays in if and how fast people can move past it. But, in my opinion, everyone gets it at some point. So how can there be anything wrong with having it? It's not a weakness, not something to hide. I don't understand the stigma attached to admitting to a mental health illness.

I do understand just want to lay in bed and stay there and let yourself drown in self pity just for one day. I do know the feeling of everything around being fine but not feeling at all fine and unable to pin-point why.

Keep writing anyway.

Because one day can turn into two, which can turn into a week. Every minute passing will only make you feel worse. The only person who should have control of your writing is you. No, not even you. Don't let that little voice in your head win. Fight it with everything you've got. Even if every part of you is screaming to stop-don't.

Whenever I feel really shitty, I try to list three things I'm grateful for and move on. In all honesty, I try to do this every day. They can be (and often are) really silly. Nothing wrong with silly. Nothing wrong with admitting to enjoying the feeling of leaving your pants on a radiator so when you put them on you'll be all warm. While I'm grateful for all the people I love and accomplishments in my life-mostly it's the build-up of tiny enjoyable things that make me happy.

Here's mine for today:
1. I'm grateful for being able to laugh at myself when I realize I've spent ten minutes singing along to the radio and mentally mapping out interviews for after my eventual win of the X-Factor.
2. I'm grateful that I have the voice of a cat trying to play the violin with it's teeth and making sure to yowl along.
3. I'm grateful for oatmeal baths. (Put oatmeal in a tied sock into the bath. Your skin will make a baby's butt green with envy.)

I found this blog post the other day. I knew that writing is important to me. I didn't realize how important it could be for others though.
Read this:
http://www.murderati.com/blog/2008/11/23/comfort-reading.html

Keep going for others if you can't for yourself.

Don't ever stop. Even if all you do after an hour of staring at a blank page is one line, don't feel bad. That one line proves you can keep going. It is your strength. That line proves that you are more than this feeling. It doesn't even have to be a good line. You can delete it later if you want. Not today, though. Today that line is your courage, your shield and your sword. Today that line is you standing up to you for you.

Keep writing.




I am alone in thinking everyone is susceptible to depression? What (like my gratefuls) helped you with it? What are you grateful for? Do you write for other people who might need it? Can you think of any moments when you needed to stand up to yourself?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The self publishing experiment.

Playlists!